So, I am sitting here waiting for my computer to download some updates, and I figured it would be a good time to update people on my life. First, things are going well. I went to a Las Vegas 51s game this week because they were playing the Portland Beavers. I, of course, was rooting for the Beavers who won :) I went out both nights this weekend, once to a bar with beer pong tables, and once to a country line dancing bar. Both were a lot of fun. This is the time of year, though, when a large number of people from our TFA corps are leaving to go back home, graduate school, or other things since our two year commitment is up. So it is kind of depressing. But thanks to the internet, it is much easier to stay in touch these days.
I have been thinking a lot about education lately, and I have realized that it is a field where it is impossible to achieve complete satisfaction. Sure, there are small glories, like students reaching their big goals (it is surprising how many teachers do not have clear, precise, measurable goals for their students), but then they leave at the end of the year. So I look to bigger things trying to replicate my small successes on a larger scale. However, even as an administrator, if you were to ever have the "perfect" staff, it will inevitably change. Say you do get 100% of kids to pass state tests, then we just start expecting more of our kids and make the tests harder. But don't worry, that'll never happen. When our kids don't pass the tests, they just make them easier. It is an interesting logic, but it is what many educators use. Back to my main point though, at what point could one possibly say they are satisfied in education?
So maybe careers are not meant to be satisfying. Perhaps satisfaction comes from life outside of work, which would then be another problem because this career of education consumes so much of my life. I know people preach balance, but if I can give this time to my students, why shouldn't I? The greatest challenge I face is that there is no one around here that truly knows me. Different people have seen different sides of me, the sides I want them to see. A few people may have even seen multiple sides of me...but then, now they are leaving. I know I won't be stuck in the middle of the desert forever. I know this has been some interesting rambling, but it is only meant to show that times are changing around me.
Before I go, let me just say this: Next year is going to be amazing! There is absolutely no way I can fail in the eyes of teacher's at my school. Everyone has written off this group as low and behavior problems. I guess that means is they can only go up. We have two new fifth grade teachers coming in, and I am really hoping that we can show tremendous growth to prove everyone wrong. It will take a lot of extra work, but all I have is time out here. Don't worry, I'll keep you posted. The best news is that track break is only about a week away, which means my epic road trip is only about a week away. I can't wait!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment