Sunday, May 17, 2009

Where I live.

The other night we were coming home from getting a beer when we saw four police cars flying down the road with their lights on. Naturally, we turned around to see what was up. They turned into a development, and when we got to the intersection they, frantically waved their flashlight at us to not go down the next street. There were at least six squad cars and numerous police officers running up the street with guns drawn. Several had assault rifles. It was pretty cool. Oh, did I mention this was a block from where we live? (It kind of reminds me of the double murder that happened behind our school...2 blocks from our house.)
Yesterday, I got home from the store and the neighbor was shirtless, outside, smoking a cigarette and apologizes for waking us up last night with the fire trucks. Keep in mind, I did wake up, but it was a dog howling. I inquire further and find out his house had a gas leak. That could have been interesting!
Finally, the softball game. We had our playoffs on Friday. Half of our team was gone because they had their school carnival. However, we still were winning our game until the last inning. We played a team called Hit and Run. I think I mentioned in a prior blog that it really annoys me when teams take walks. We can't play if everyone is taking walks. Well, this team should have been called Walk and Run...and I told them that. In fact, their lead off hitter took 3 walks in the game. I also mentioned that lead off hitters were supposed to hit. I always try to hit, and this game, I hit well. I got doubles most at bats. Lucky for me, said guy played second. So I kindly said to him, "That's what happens when you HIT the ball." Needless to say, there was a prolonged verbal altercation. It was exciting! All we really want to do is play. When a guy takes a walk, it is also hard to manage the runs scored because they get to second and a girl gets to take first. If two guys walk in a row, that is an automatic run and the bases are loaded. It turns out, they tried the same strategy against a like minded team after us...talk about a boring game. But then I guess Walk and Run tried to hit and ended up losing. Serves them right!
Anyway, I'm off to go hiking today. Then I have to grade some writing.

1 comment:

cassie said...

wow... lovely! did you ever read in the paper or hear exactly why all those cops were around your developement? always something fun to come home to...
How was your hike? where'd you go? Hope you had a good time, and it wasn't too hot! take and picts?